SimplyShredded.com - Body Building Forum
SimplyShredded.com Forum
EagleRare10 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello All:

Been lurking for a year or so, just made my first post today. Figured I should start a log to help track my progress.

Stats:
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 208
BF% (est): 13-14
Best lifts:
Bench: 275x5
Squat: 305x5
Dead: 395x3

Experience: started lifting in high school, but never had any proper training or education about it. Did bro splits on and off through my late teens and twenties. Got serious about training about a year and half ago, which is when I did my first ever squat and deadlift. Did Stronglifts for about 9 months, but injured my back deadlifting. After recuperating from that, I started messing around with my own programs, and feel I've had pretty decent progress. Now I lift 3 days a week and do minimal cardio. Split is: chest/back; legs/core; arms/shoulders. Start each workout with heavy compounds RPT style (3-7 rep range) and work my way to isolation exercises (8-12 reps) with shorter rest breaks.

Diet: I don't count calories or macros. Though I do tend to roughly count protein and make sure I get at least 150 grams a day. I do Leangains style intermittent fasting during the week, and eat on a normal schedule during the weekend. Try to eat mostly non-processed clean foods, but love burgers, donuts, pizza, burritos, pancakes, french toast, etc. in moderation. Only drink water, coffee, tea, milk, and alcohol.

Supplements: whey protein, fish oil, multivitamin, BCAAs when I train fasted.

Goals: aesthetics; strength. Ideal physique would be like Steve Reeves.

Will try to get some decent pictures to post.

Cheers SS community!
Post 1 • IP   flag post
wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to SS. I have similar story with training through the younger years and only getting into Squats and Deadllfts maybe 5 years ago. I also have similar approach to diet lately including IF.

Where are you from?

Put up a profile pic.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Been trying to cut for the last 6 weeks or so, but have only dropped about 4 pounds. Plan is to continue cutting through June or July, see just how lean I can get.

4/28 Workout (arms/shoulders):
Chinups:
6xBW for warmup; 5xBW+50lbs; 6xBW+40lbs; 2x7xBW

Standing barbell shoulder press (is there a better name for that?):
Bar x10 for warmup; 115x7; 2x105x10; 95x10

preacher curls:
EZ-bar + 60lbs x 7; +50 lbs x 10x2

rope handle tricep push downs:
3x65x10

side lateral raises:
run the rack: 35x7, 30x5,25x5, 20x10 (did this twice)

french press:
65lb dumbell x10x2

arnold press:
45 dbs x 10x2

incline curls:
35 db x7; 30x8
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular thanks man. I'll work on the profile pic today. I'm from Montana.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Nice lifts for a "bro-split" If you're really 13-14%BF than 4 lbs in 6 weeks is a good pace dude. I do love me some Eagle Rare. I like to cook with some Buffalo Trace.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@kickinchicken Thanks man. Yeah, bodyfat may be a bit higher than that, but not by much. I've never been measured, just going by eye test. I'll try to get some pics up soon, see what the forum thinks.

I see you're from bourbon country. You must have a great selection down there. Selection up here isn't great, and Eagle Rare is about the best I can afford for a casual pour, but I love it.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
4/31 cardio

7 minutes high-intensity plyometrics (box jumps, burbpees, short sprints), with short rests. Then rested 10 minutes. Then 25 minute jog (didn't track distance). It was my first outdoor run of the season, and I was feeling it in my calves this a.m.

5/2 workout (chest/back)

Weight: 209.6 lbs

Felt like my recovery was not up to par this weekend. I kept my diet pretty tight but also had an active weekend for my standards doing yardwork and the above-described cardio. Definitely didn't feel very refreshed, energetic or powerful in the weightroom today.

Warmup: bench 135x10; 185x5; 225x3; 245x2;
band pull-aparts 3x25, shoulder dislocations 2x10

Bench: 265x5; 255x6; 245x7

Widegrip pullup: +45lbs x5; +40x6; BWx8

Front raises: 45lb plate x10x2

Bent over BB rows: 135x10; 185x7x2; 155x8

incline DB bench: 70s x10x2

rear-delt raises 30 lb dbs x10;

chest-dips: +40lbs x10

facepulls: 2x67.5x10

standing straight arm cable pull downs: 50lbsx12

pec-deck: 165x12

seated cable row: 140x10
Post 7 • IP   flag post
5/4 workout (Legs/Core)

Weight: 207.8

Squats:
Warmup: 135x10; 225x5; 245x3; 275x2

Working:305x5; 285x6; 275x7; 225x8

RDL: 100lb DBs 3x10

Decline sit-ups: 30lb DB behind head x10, on chest x10

superset:
28kg kettlebell goblet squats (ATG) x10 +
kettlebell swings x10
2 sets

hanging windshield wipers: 2x10 (10 each direction)

standing calf raise machine: 335x12

hamstring curl machine: 2x165x12

ab-coaster: +30 lbs x15
Post 8 • IP   flag post
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Nice leg day. Not so sure about your "core" workout... -3X
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@eknight Thanks. Yeah, 4 sets isn't great. I workout over my lunch hour so I tend to run out of time. I try to hit some plank variations in the evenings a few nights a week, but the above is pretty standard for any ab work I get in the weightroom.

What would you suggest for core work?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Added a blurry pic in my profile.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
So, generally, when I think of core work, I disregard the superficial trunk muscles altogether. True core work is the deeper muscles that you aren't working at all with your exercise selection above- muscles like the multifidus and TVA. Their role is not to flex, extend, or rotate the spine (as you're doing in crunches, sit-ups, etc.), but the exact opposite- to prevent flexion, extension, or rotation. Movements like planks, weighted planks, RKC planks, Pallov presses, bird dogs, and push-up position bird dogs are the kinds of things I advise. -3X
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Movements like planks, weighted planks, RKC planks, Pallov presses, bird dogs, and push-up position bird dogs are the kinds of things I advise.

Word up. Thanks for the tips (though I'll have to look some of those up ). What type of frequency is advisable for core work? 2x per week? Volume?

Not that I have any intention or interest in competing at this point, but do you think one could build competition-worthy abs with just the exercises you suggested, or would that require weighted flexion exercises as well?

Thanks again!

EDIT: nevermind, revisited the sticky thread and saw you've already answered the volume question.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Yes, I did.

But I'll address your other question. See these two dudes?

I'd say they have competition-worthy abs, right? Notice how tight and flexed the abs are- when they're not flexing the spine at all, but just from the act of sprinting? Athletes like NFL players spend far more time on exercise that stabilize the core than exercises that "work" it traditionally. Why? Because when a 6'5", 290 pound DE is trying to kill you before you can get back to the line of scrimmage, it doesn't matter how much weight you use doing crunches- it matters how strong your trunk is when you stop, pivot, accelerate, or get hit. -3X
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@eknight fair enough. Makes sense. I'll see how limiting the flexion/rotation/etc. movements in favor of stabilization exercises goes for my next several workouts. Thanks.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Yes, I did.

But I'll address your other question. See these two dudes?

I'd say they have competition-worthy abs, right? Notice how tight and flexed the abs are- when they're not flexing the spine at all, but just from the act of sprinting? Athletes like NFL players spend far more time on exercise that stabilize the core than exercises that "work" it traditionally. Why? Because when a 6'5", 290 pound DE is trying to kill you before you can get back to the line of scrimmage, it doesn't matter how much weight you use doing crunches- it matters how strong your trunk is when you stop, pivot, accelerate, or get hit. -3X

And if you'd (hypothetically) strip their skin off, then you would be able to see, that the pattern of all the muscles in the core cover all kinds of angles and directions. If you imagine, that you want to fasten some object using duct tape, then you wouldn't just put one strip over it, covering one direction, because if force is applied from another direction, the duct tape won't be able to hold the object in place. You would obviously tape the hell out of it, from all possible angles, and with several layers. From observing that exactly the same kind of "methodology" is in practice in the trunk, it's clear that the primary purpose of the muscles in the core, is to ensure rigidity and stabilization against outside forces, from any possible angly, to protect the spine. For that reason, it makes a lot of sense to train the muscles in ways, that they are structurally designed for. Both in terms of progress, but also general health and reducing risk of injury.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@eknight @Hamb0 Thanks guys. Very informative. I'll have to put some thought into how I rework my program for core stuff, namely, how to progress it.

I think the first thing I'll have to do is figure out what this RKC plank is all about, as my little bit of google research so far suggests its very difficult and effective. Right now I can hold a regular plank for 2 minutes without much shaking, and 30 seconds on side planks. Keep working until I can do 3 minutes, then start adding a plate on my back?

One reason I've stuck with the decline sit ups is that it was easy to see progression; when I started I would struggle to hit the reps with 15 lbs added, but after a few weeks, adding 5 lbs became no problem, and so on. However, now that you've pointed out that that kind of flexion is not really what the muscles are designed to do, I realized that by the end of my sets, where I feel it most is in my upper-thighs above my hips (what I presume are my hip flexors?), instead of my abs. So, I'll ditch the sit-ups.

I think I'll keep the windshield wipers for a while, just because they're something I've only recently added and I think they're fun. Anyway, the difficulty with the windshield wipers seems to be in resisting having the movement go too far in either direction (eccentric?), rather than getting your legs back to neutral position. Am I wrong about that?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
5/6 workout (arms/shoulders)

Weight: 207.8

Warmup: light shoulder presses and chinups, band pull aparts, dislocations

Working:

Seated DB shoulder press: 70x5; 65x7; 60x8

Chin-ups: +50lbs x7; +40x7; BWx8

Close grip bench: 205x5x2; 185x7

incline DB curls: 35x7x2

french press: 65x10x2

standing DB curls: 30x12

lateral raises: 30x10; 30x10; 25x10 + 20x7 + 17.5x5 + 15x4

single arm tri push down (rope handle): 67.5x10x2

straight bar curl: 50x15
Post 18 • IP   flag post

Post 19 • IP   flag post
5/9 workout (chest/back)

Weight: 210

Ate a lot this weekend, and quite dirty, but I'm chalking the weight gain up to water retention and refilling glycogen (hopefully). In any event, if last week was just spinning my wheels, cut-wise, I'm okay with that. Back to it today.

Warmup: band pull aparts, dislocations, bench 135x10, 225x5, 245x2, 265x1

Working:

Bench: 275x3x2; 245x6; 225x8

Pull ups: BW x12, x10, x8

low incline DB bench: 75x10x2

face-pulls: 67.5x10x2, focusing on trying to feel my rear-delts, holding squeeze

chest dips: BWx12

front raise: 50 DB x10

seated cable row: 140x10; 147.5x10

peck dec: 165x10

chest-supported rear delt raises: 20 db x10x2
Post 20 • IP   flag post
5/11 workout (legs/core)

Weight: 207.2

Notable workout today for a couple reasons: (1) I set a PR; and (2) I got (politely) yelled at by one of the gym employees.

Warmup: Deadlift 205x8; 275x5; 345x3; 395x1

Working: 400x3 +1 (raw) which is a new PR. Been eyeing 400 for a few months now, so it felt good to finally hit that nice round number. First three felt really good, except my grip was slipping by #3 (I don't use any chalk and this bar had almost 0 knurling), so I wiped off my hands, rested for 20 seconds, and hit the +1.

Then I did 365x5; 345x7.

That's when I got yelled at. I workout at a small and casual gym over my lunch hour; for bumper plates they only have one set of 45s, one set of 25s, and one set of 10s. So for my deadlifts I use the 45s and 25s, and load the rest up with regular 35lb plates (so they don't touch the floor). Anyway, at the end of my 345 set, the front desk worker runs up to me and tells me "some of the old people using the machines up front are complaining about your noise" and told me to stop. Oops. I wasn't even dropping the weight either, I lower it, but its just kind of hard to set 345 lbs down gently. Oh well, guess I'll have to learn to be quieter.

Rest of the workout uneventful:

squat: 225x12; 225x10

RKC planks: 5 sets at 20 seconds (still figuring out the form)
side planks: 45 seconds each
regular plank: 2 minutes

Bulgarian split squat (dumbbells at sides): 65x10 (each leg); 60x10

hanging windshield wipers: x10

hamstring curl: 165x12; 165x10
Post 21 • IP   flag post
5/13 workout (arms/shoulders)

weight: 206.8

Warmup standing BB shoulder press: bar x15, 65x10, 95x3
band pull aparts, shoulder dislocation

Working: 115x5; 105x7; 100x8

Chin-ups: +50 lbs x 7; +45 x 7; BW x 8

french-press: 70x12 x10

side lateral raise: 35s x 10; 35x7 + 30x3 + 25x3 + 20x3; 25s x 10 (1 sec hold at top, slow negative)

preacher curl: EZ bar + 40lbs x 12 (slow reps, focusing on squeeze)

2x superset (EZ bar + 50lbs): 8x curl + 10x skull crusher

hammer curl (across body): 30 DB x8
Post 22 • IP   flag post
5/16 workout (chest/back)

I've been having some discomfort in my right shoulder complex. Whatever it is, I think its due largely to inadequate recovery and overuse. I thought it was biceps tendon, but don't think so anymore. Pain is deep in the shoulder, and radiates out over my collar bone.

Anyway, it pretty much derailed my workout today. It was fine on my bench warmup at 135, but at 185 it started hurting by my third rep. Tried to clear it up by adjusting my form, but nothing seemed to alleviate it. So I stopped.

Hit some bent over rows, pullups, push downs, face pulls, front and rear delt raises, and some row machines, and it didn't really impact any of those. Was able to do 3 sets of low-incline DB bench, with 65s without too much discomfort, but was probably a bad idea anyway. Tried some light pec deck, but that movement seemed to aggravate the discomfort. So I finished the chest workout with 3 sets of bodyweight dips, which (surprisingly to me) I was able to do without any pain.

I think that's going to be my last upperbody work for the week. Hopefully it resolves itself with rest and some ice.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
5/18 workout (legs/core)

Weight: 206.6

squat warmup: 135x10; 225x5; 255x3; 275x2

working: 305x5; 285x6; 255x7

RDL: 135x10; 225x10x3

RKC planks: 3x30seconds

90 second regular plank

25 ab-wheel rollouts

standing calf raise machine: 355x10; 315x12

hamstring curl: 180x10; 165x10

leg press: 300x10
Post 24 • IP   flag post
5/24 workout (chest/back)

Weight: 206.2

My shoulder is still bothering me, and I felt pretty weak today. Suspect a combo of inadequate recovery and not enough calories.

But on that note, by the eye-test I'm currently the leanest I have ever been. Still chasing the elusive full six-pack, but starting to get compliments from random acquaintances that I'm looking ripped (relative to myself). So at least the cut seems to be going well.

Bench: 135x10; 185x7; 225x3; 255x3 x3 x3; 225x8 x8
had shoulder discomfort at 255 and the last few reps at 225, so I didn't push things.

Pullups: +45lbs x6; BW x10 x10
superset w/ band pull aparts x20 x20 x20

randomly tried some light DB shoulder presses, to test how it felt on my shoulder. 40 lbs caused a lot of shoulder discomfort. But then, surprisingly, I tried 30lbs alternating each arm, and on my right side it made something in my shoulder start to click and pop; not in a painful way, but like something tacked-down had released and was moving freely again. That actually provided some relief, so fingers crossed whatever was bothering me will clear up with some rest now.

DB rows: 75lbs x8; x8

chest dips: +50lbs x10; BW x15 (slow reps)

seated cable row: 160x10; x8

Hammer strength incline press: 70lbs (each side) x10; x10

facepulls: 60lbs x 10; x10
Post 25 • IP   flag post
5/25 workout (legs/core)

Weight: 206.4

Nothing really worth logging today. My plan today was to hit some heavy deadlifts, and do some volume squat work. But when I showed up at my gym, all olympic barbells were already in use, as was the squat rack. So I had to improvise.

Trap bar dead: 135x10; 185x7; 275x5; 345x5x5

By then squat rack opened up

Squats: 225x10; 275x7 x5

RKC Planks: 30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest x3

Hanging windshield wipers x8 (each direction)

hamstring curl: 180x10 x10

standing calf raise: 395x10 + 315x10 + 255x10 (dropset)

BSS: 50lb DB x10 each leg

calf raise: 375x10 + 315x10

leg press: 360x10 slow reps
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Had a few workouts I didn't log. Arm day on 5/27, and a full body workout yesterday. I was kind of lazy over the three-day weekend, and didn't get in the gym at all, but I played basketball for an hour on Monday, for the first time in nearly two years. Had me pretty sore the next few days.

My shoulder is still bothering me, but seems to be improving. I originally thought it was biceps tendon, but after reading up on it and performing some tests, I think its a rotator cuff issue. I've been working on some exercises for it, and practicing engaging my rhomboids and lower traps when I do any pressing movements, and that seems to help. I was able to hit a few sets of 225 flatbench yesterday without much pain, except on unracking and racking. Not sure if its just the shoulder issue, or the cut, but feel like I'm starting to lose some strength on the bench.

But on the other hand, I hit a set of 5 pullups with good form yesterday with 60lbs added, which is my new PR pullup set. And I'm down to 205lbs, so cut is still moving.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
6/6 Workout (chest/back)

Weight: 204.4

My chest workouts have been lagging for a few weeks due to my shoulder injury, but today I was able to complete all of my main lifts without any discomfort whatsoever. The pain flared up a bit when I tried some pec-deck at the end of my workout, so its not resolved yet, but I think another week or two it'll be gone.

Warmup: band work; 5lb plate shoulder circles

Low-incline DB bench: 50x10; 70x7; 80x7; 90x7x2

bent over BB rows: 135x10; 185x7x3

dips: +45lbs x12; +70x10

pull-ups: +45x6; BWx7

hammer strength incline: 70 (each side) x10

hammer strength high-to-mid row: 70x10

tried pec-deck but stopped with first hint of shoulder pain

Superset 2x:
standing straight arm push downs 35x10
close-grip pull-downs 80x5
Post 28 • IP   flag post
6/8 Workout (legs/core)

Weight 204.6

Squats:
warmup 135x10; 225x7; 255x5; 275x3;
working 305x5x2; 285x7; 225x10

While I got the weight up, my form was definitely poor on later reps of almost every working set. Started off strong, but would involuntarily lean forward after rising about 3 inches from the bottom, so it became like a half-squat/half-good morning type thing. I think I'll lower the weight a bit and do less volume next week, and focus on keeping good form.

RDL: 205x12; 235x8x2

RKC Planks: 3x 45 seconds with 45 second rest

hamstring curls: 195x10; 195x8

decline sit ups: 25lb plate behind head x10 + on chest x10 + BW x5

standing calf raise: 335x10x2

2x superset: 28kg kettlebell swings x10 + goblet squats (ATG) x 10
Post 29 • IP   flag post
6/15 workout (legs/core)

Weight: 203.2 I was surprised by this, because I was over 207 on Monday. Goal is to hit 200 by end of the month, which may be time to start reverse dieting again.

I did two workouts, an arm/shoulder, and back/chest, that I did not log, as I was rather busy. But there wasn't anything particularly exciting in either workout to log either. Hit the +60lbs for 5 chin ups and pull ups again both workouts, which I liked. The weighted pull ups are going to be a focus on my next bulk, with the goal of getting two plates for reps.

Also, my shoulder feels about 98% recovered; completed the last few workouts almost entirely pain free; I think it was just an overuse and form issue. I apparently haven't been engaging my back right on my pushing movements, which I think was at least partial cause of the shoulder discomfort. I worked on a lot of rotator cuff strengthening exercises; but the thing that seemed to help the most was prone T-raises, which helped me learn how to engage rhomboids and middle traps to a degree that I never had before. That and rest.

Nonetheless, I still haven't flat benched for a few weeks. Hit dumbell bench on Monday with 90s and was pain free. I think I'm going to stick with DB for awhile just to change things up. Work my way up to the 100s.

Today's workout:

deadlift:
warmup: 205x10; 255x7; 325x4
working: 375x4; 375x3; 355x5; 325x7

squat: 225x12x2

RKC planks: 2x50 seconds

windshield wipers: 1x7

hanging leg raises -- all the way up to bar, back to 90, hold for 5 seconds x5

leg press: 400x10

ham curl: 195x10x2

banded TKE: 15x each leg

calf raise machine: 355x10; 295x10