SimplyShredded.com - Body Building Forum
SimplyShredded.com Forum
BulkingCuttingDiet AdvicePhysiqueTeen

Bulk or Cut?18852

RyanMorgans private msg quote post Address this user
I am 15 years old, 5"8, 141Pounds,and my body fat is %15-17. I think im pretty strong for myself, but im skinnyfat. Should I bulk or cut. I cant stand looking like this. I have also been lifting for a year.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
bump
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Think about it. At 5'8, 141 pounds is pretty small, and you're wondering whether you should cut or not.

Bulk.

From what it seems, you're clearly a beginner (which is perfectly fine) so you'll be able to gain muscle and lose fat in the begining. Read the FAQ and Routine Design for Dummies on the homepage of the forum and let us know what you came up with.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
bulk it is then
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Dorich private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsn3004
Think about it. At 5'8, 141 pounds is pretty small, and you're wondering whether you should cut or not.

While in general you are correct and what you said would apply to most people his height/weight, I feel the need to point out bone mass, which many people don't take into account. For example, my father and I have the exact same height, and if you were to analyze the shape of our hands, fingers, etc, you'd clearly see we are father and son. My bones however, are significantly smaller/thinner it's even funny in comparison. For example his wrist is huge, whereas mine is only 15.5 cm (6.1 inches). His bones overall are just much much larger, everywhere. It makes a true difference when it comes to weight, especially if you want to cut down to lower body fat, and even more so if you lack muscle mass.

People sometimes assume that a taller person must have a large frame, but it's not always the case.

In regards to the OP, I would initially say "bulk", but without a photo there's nothing I can say really. For what it's worth I'm taller than the OP (6 feet) and at tomorrow's weighing I'm actually expecting to hit around 144 lbs, with estimated body fat of around 12%.

OP should therefore post a photo to get best advice from everyone. Perhaps merely maintaining and lifting would be much better until significant strength is gained, at which point he'd be ready to bulk.
Post 5 • IP   flag post

Post 6 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the photos.

You say you've been lifting for a year, but was it a well structured program with progressive overload? This is really key.

If it was just "random" lifting from time to time, then I'd advise you to figure out your maintenance, eat around your maintenance, and run something like the "Fierce 5" lifting routine.

When you find your strength has somewhat increased (may take a couple of months), then start running a surplus and actually bulking.

Reason being that bulking at this point may lead to pure fat gain if you actually haven't achieved maximum strength via neural adaptations.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
yea, the first 6months I wasnt tracking how much i ate
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I also have school lifting for football in the morning,For example, Monday we would do Squats 4×10, Cleans 4×3, RDL 4x10, and then Power shrugs 4x5
Post 9 • IP   flag post
following what I just said, should I also go to the gym and lift after school?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
You need to follow a program that encourages you to progressively add weight and keep track of your progress. Beginners usually fail to develop a well balanced routine, which is why it is encouraged to follow a proven one that's already popular. Hence my "Fierce 5" recommendation.

Good luck.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
thanks man, I appreciate it
Post 12 • IP   flag post
jostrosky private msg quote post Address this user
At your age there is no such thing as a "cut." Just eat right/clean (not junk or fast food) and lift. Worry about that term when you are in your twenties and have years of training.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
robinxchrom private msg quote post Address this user
i would say ur definitely not in any way shape or form skinny fat.

You're just skinny lean.

bulk!!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
jayjay770 private msg quote post Address this user
You're 15, so just lift a way that makes you happy and want to continue lifting, and eat healthy and clean and just eat a lot. Maybe add a protein shake to your diet.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
336178 15 15
destitute