SimplyShredded.com - Body Building Forum
SimplyShredded.com Forum
BulkingDiet AdviceIntroductionProgress PicsProgress Update

10 Week Bulking Progress...Help Please.18893

bflare private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

I started out a few years ago at 195lb, very unfit & unhealthy. I did a year long cut at which I ended up at a measly 118lb!
From February this year I started lifting seriously at a gym following the fierce 5 routine. I am almost in my 11th week & I am seeing slow strength gains & I have put back on a lot of fat. I am currently at 148lb @ 5’8”.

Can you guys see much progress in muscle mass on the attached pics?

Myself I cannot see much difference apart from fat gains. I know 11 weeks is nothing but should I be seeing more progress? I am in this now for life so I am not bothered how long it takes as long as I am making progress.

38 male

5'8"

I am eating around 2200 calories a day. Everything is logged & weighed.

Protein - 138g
Carbs - 248g
Fat - 73g

I prep all my main meals & eat nearly the exact same thing every day. Mainly Chicken, veggies, oats, Peanut Butter.

Thanks.

Post 1 • IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like u've rushed the weight gain and put on more fat than muscle.
Sorry dude. But I'd take ur time and aim for 1lb/week of weight gain from here on in !!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
How are your strength gains?

You're putting on roughly 2.3 pounds per week which is a little too fast if you want to maintain or not increase body fat. I would cut your daily calories by about 300 to 450 which should cut you back to gaining roughly one pound per week (of lean muscle). I don't know what that fierce 5 routine is but I'm just assuming it's a decent routine and you are eating the right ratio of marcos.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole
How are your strength gains?

You're putting on roughly 2.3 pounds per week which is a little too fast if you want to maintain or not increase body fat. I would cut your daily calories by about 300 to 450 which should cut you back to gaining roughly one pound per week (of lean muscle). I don't know what that fierce 5 routine is but I'm just assuming it's a decent routine and you are eating the right ratio of marcos.

Hello & thanks for your reply.

Fierce 5 is as follows:

3 day split between two workouts A & B

Workout A
Squat 3 x 5
Bench Press 3 x 5
Pendlay Row 3 x 8
Face Pulls 3 x 10
Cable Tricep Pushdowns 3 x 10

Workout B
Deadlift 3 x 5
OHP 3 x 5
Seated Leg Curl 3 x 5
Lat Pulldown 3 x 8
Machine Curl 2 x 10
Machine Deltoid Raise 3 x 8

My macro's are:

Protein - 138g
Carbs - 248g
Fat - 73g

Thank you.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Baggy private msg quote post Address this user
What weight do you use for a working set of squats/deads/bench/rows?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy
What weight do you use for a working set of squats/deads/bench/rows?

Hello.

Squats: 60kg
Deads: 105kg
Bench: 57.5kg
Rows: 60kg

Thanks.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Baggy private msg quote post Address this user
OK, and I assume these have increased over the last 10 weeks since you started?

Essentially what you need to do isn't complicated. You're gaining weight too fast, so as the other guys suggested, cut back on the calories a little. Maybe drop 200-300 for now and track that for the next month. Then reassess from there.

In terms of weight, keep upping the weight where you can to maintain progression, and take the time to really develop and understand form.

Keep going my friend, you're doing a good job so far. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy
OK, and I assume these have increased over the last 10 weeks since you started?

Essentially what you need to do isn't complicated. You're gaining weight too fast, so as the other guys suggested, cut back on the calories a little. Maybe drop 200-300 for now and track that for the next month. Then reassess from there.

In terms of weight, keep upping the weight where you can to maintain progression, and take the time to really develop and understand form.

Keep going my friend, you're doing a good job so far. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Yeah over the last 10 weeks:

Squat: 20kg to 60kg
Bench: 45kg to 57.5kg
Dead: 50kg to 105kg
Row: 40kg to 60kg

It's slow but they are increasing.

I have dropped my cals by 200 also.

Thanks for your help.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@bflare there has to be some issue here because I could take any adult male off the streets and teach him to squat bench and deadlift more than these numbers !!
I would monitor and modify ur technique as there has to be a clear issue here...
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
@bflare there has to be some issue here because I could take any adult male off the streets and teach him to squat bench and deadlift more than these numbers !!
I would monitor and modify ur technique as there has to be a clear issue here...

The weights given are my working weights 3 x 5 but I agree they are very low. Although when I compare my 1RM against the figures given on http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards my numbers are around the novice level. Is this not a reliable source?

Also I do have hypermobile joints which did effect my form at first & I think could still be an issue.

Thanks.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@bflare if u get a chance record ur form and post the videos !! Easier to help u from there !!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
@bflare if u get a chance record ur form and post the videos !! Easier to help u from there !!

No problem FiremanS I have some videos already recorded.

Squat

https://youtu.be/xp9sp10KLyE
https://youtu.be/U0d-bkAUXS4

Bench

https://youtu.be/8tIt6n7ORHY

OHP

https://youtu.be/opFis7EaVVY

Thanks again.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
337857 12 12
destitute