SimplyShredded.com - Body Building Forum
SimplyShredded.com Forum
Bench PressCutting

Cut + strength loss18923

johnb46 private msg quote post Address this user
just curious everyones input. Does anyone else have issues with bench strength while cutting? accessories pressing accessories don't decrease but my bench just generally goes to shit every cut. anyone else have a specific problem with it?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
It shouldn't go to shit, but if you're in a caloric deficit for a prolonged period of time and keep decreasing your calories, then your bench will probably decrease a little bit.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
robinxchrom private msg quote post Address this user
In my experience, it depends:

1. How deep you are into your cut
2. How low your bodyfat is on ur cut compared to off season
3. How much weight you've lost

Multiple components come into strength loss on a cut:
1. Leverages - if you weight 20lbs less, your leverages are simply going to be different; therefore most of your lifts which would benefit from any extra weight on the body will decrease somewhat.

2. Glycogen supplies - the more shredded you are, the more likely you're going to do a few sessions depleted.

e.g. on my refeed days, my pendlay rows return back to off-seasons strength levels, however on a day where i've been in a deficit for 4-5 days; my pendlays are dreadful.

3. You're dieting on too few carbs - I've made this mistake in the past but if you're dieting on lowcarb or even just calorically restricting yourself too much and your carbs are suffering, you'll have less energy and pull less

4. The inevitable loss of lean mass on a cut

Watching any youtubers competing such as Christian Guzman, you'll see his strength suffers too but its just life. In the off-season I'll commonly do 3-4x5-8 reps on working sets of something like DB press. However if I'm cutting, I'll more likely warm up, then do 1 working set at max weight, then drop the weight for every other set (reverse pyramid).

Everything when you're cutting is shit. Your recovery is worse, energy levels are worse, your pump is worse, your leverages are worse, your body is less protected due to losing adipose tissure from some very useful areas such as around joints.

If you finish your bulk at 180lbs, and get shredded at 155, of course ur bench is gonna look very different! simply from a biomechanical standpoint.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinxchrom
In my experience, it depends:

1. How deep you are into your cut
2. How low your bodyfat is on ur cut compared to off season
3. How much weight you've lost

Multiple components come into strength loss on a cut:
1. Leverages - if you weight 20lbs less, your leverages are simply going to be different; therefore most of your lifts which would benefit from any extra weight on the body will decrease somewhat.

2. Glycogen supplies - the more shredded you are, the more likely you're going to do a few sessions depleted.

e.g. on my refeed days, my pendlay rows return back to off-seasons strength levels, however on a day where i've been in a deficit for 4-5 days; my pendlays are dreadful.

3. You're dieting on too few carbs - I've made this mistake in the past but if you're dieting on lowcarb or even just calorically restricting yourself too much and your carbs are suffering, you'll have less energy and pull less

Watching any youtubers competing such as Christian Guzman, you'll see his strength suffers too but its just life. In the off-season I'll commonly do 3-4x5-8 reps on working sets of something like DB press. However if I'm cutting, I'll more likely warm up, then do 1 working set at max weight, then drop the weight for every other set (reverse pyramid).

Everything when you're cutting is shit. Your recovery is worse, energy levels are worse, your pump is worse, your leverages are worse, your body is less protected due to losing adipose tissure from some very useful areas such as around joints.

If you finish your bulk at 180lbs, and get shredded at 155, of course ur bench is gonna look very different! simply from a biomechanical standpoint.

2 months into cut. down 12lbs. Still not lean by any means. still having plenty of carbs + calories are too low. It just seems unless im eating everything in site bench is destined to decrease
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
OP- what was your training max on bench before your cut?
what is it now?

@robinxchrom
Quote:

what??? Do you really think 20lbs of bodyweight will drastically effect leverages for the average male lifter?

Quote:

how shredded you are has little to do with glycogen stores it relates to the ratio of body fat to lean body mass. Although it is true that glycogen stores may be lower during dieting and this can affect lifting performance to a degree.

Quote:

Lean mass loss may not be inevitable, much may depend on his current bodyfat levels, which we do not know as he has not provided it.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
1. yup. I do depending on your weight. If you're 200lbs dropping 20lbs isn't going to mess with your leverages as much as if you're 160-170 dropping to 140-150.

Drastically? Probably not. I wouldn't expect your bench to half or something like that.

2. Leaner you are on a cut usually relates to less carbs you're eating which usually means feeling depleted more often. Deeper into my cuts, I feel A LOT more weaker/tired/exhausted. It might not be the specific bodyfat level which equats to this tho.

4. I think its inevitable. When you break that 10% bodyfat barrier and dig deep, I think the odds of maintaining all your muscle mass is cut slim.

I could be wrong but a mixture of experience and research and led me to these conclusions.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
Let's agree on one thing- if you need to be 140 to be shredded, you need to think more about lifting than cutting.
LOL

I agree with sub 10% body fat and its effects on muscle loss. But I have a feeling that OP is not approaching that threshold.

cheers
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salokin
Let's agree on one thing- if you need to be 140 to be shredded, you need to think more about lifting than cutting.
LOL

I agree with sub 10% body fat and its effects on muscle loss. But I have a feeling that OP is not approaching that threshold.

cheers

Yeah bodybuilding standards but not everyone is in this game to look like Big Rami or Steve Cook. Some people lift to get a physique more akin to sports persons (Cristiano Ronaldo) in which case if they're on the short site and sitting at 140-150lbs, it won't look very bad.

Theonlinecoach from youtube sits at 155lbs shredded and looks better than most people I know.

I think I'd personally prefer to sit in the 10-15% range and be a bit smaller than the 20% and be bigger but its all personal tastes and perogatives.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
When i lower cals the first lift to suffer is my bench.

Just means you need to focus much more on the form and make sure you are doing the movement correctly.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salokin
OP- what was your training max on bench before your cut?
what is it now?

@robinxchrom
Quote:

what??? Do you really think 20lbs of bodyweight will drastically effect leverages for the average male lifter?

Quote:

how shredded you are has little to do with glycogen stores it relates to the ratio of body fat to lean body mass. Although it is true that glycogen stores may be lower during dieting and this can affect lifting performance to a degree.

Quote:

Lean mass loss may not be inevitable, much may depend on his current bodyfat levels, which we do not know as he has not provided it.

I just hit 280 about a month before at 198.
generally at around 168lbs with low body fat i maintained a 250 bench or so. Im currently at 188 give or take from 198. was hitting sets of 6 with 225 weekly, then all of a sudden got a single set of 3 and had to drop weight to 205.

No where near 10% BF yet still a ways to go but my bench has always been very sporadic and generally terrible. Ive worked the movement for 7 years and been powerlifting for 5, so I can say my form is halfway decent at the least if you want a video. but damn is it discouraging.

I was also running CWM juggercube and progressing very well with the percentages and an actual program so i contribute alot of the bench increases to that. Ive been hovering around 250 for YEARS, having it go down and up as it (bench) feels.

Obviously cutting is the main goal currently, but just very unaware why my bench strength is terrible. Incline DB and weighted dips are on the rise, but down comes the bench press; as is tradition it seems
Post 10 • IP   flag post
337475 10 10
destitute