SimplyShredded.com - Body Building Forum
SimplyShredded.com Forum

Please critique my new push/pull/legs split!18928

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys whats up!
After doing the same full body routine for years I thought I'd give push/pull/legs a try. How does the split I created look? I wanted to do low rep work on the first three days then higher reps. How does the balance look, and injuries prone to happen? Thanks for your help!

Push A
barbell bench press 5x3-5
standing overhead press 5x3-5
incline dumbbell press 3x8
cable fly’s 3x10
seated dumbbell shoulder press 3x8
lateral raiser 3x12
skull crushers 3x10
cable pushdown 3x10

Pull A
Barbell bent over row 5x3-5
T bar row 3x8
Pull ups 3x10
Dumbbell row 3x10
Barbell shrug 3x12
Dumbbell shrug 3x12
Barbell curl 3x8
Hammer curl 3x8

Legs A
Squats 3x10
Deadlift 3x3
Leg press 3x10
Lying leg curl 3x15
Seated calf raise 3x12
Standing calf raise 3x12

Push B
barbell bench press 3x10
incline dumbbell press 3x10
decline press 3x10
cable fly’s 3x12
standing overhead press 3x10
seated dumbbell shoulder press 3x10
lateral raiser 3x12
skull crushers 3x8
cable pushdown 3x8

Pull B
Barbell bent over row 3x`0
T bar row 3x8
Lat pulldown 3x12
Dumbbell row 3x10
Barbell shrug 3x12
Dumbbell shrug 3x12
Barbell curl 3x8
Hammer curl 3x8

Legs B
Squats 3x10
Leg press 3x10
Dumbbell step up 3x12
Leg extension 2x20
Deadlift 3x6
Romanian deadlift 2x10
Lying leg curl 3x10
Post 1 • IP   flag post
LOl anyone!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't run that, but that's just me. What are your specific goals and why did you choose the exercises you did? Where's your core work and conditioning going to fit in? -3X
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Shoot, really? what's wrong with this template? Will this template not build muscle optimally?

My main goal is just to build as much muscle as possible, with strength gains on the upper body lifts but strength not being main goal. Because of a knee condition I cant go heavy on squats

I picked these exercises because I find them enjoyable to do, plus IMO I feel like these are the excercises that stimulate the muscles well.
My aim was to have a heavy push/pull day doing a couple sets of really heavy weight, low reps. Then move on to normal working weight. This way to get to use different kinds of reps/sets. Plus, I love high volume.Haha

Ill be doing light cardio 5 days a week, and core work 2x week.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Overhead pressing is certainly not an optimal or efficient movement. You are literally putting the supraspinatus and long head of the biceps tendons between two boney prominences and saying, "let's compress the shit out of them with the addition of weight." So, I'd drop both of your overhead pressing movements to start with. I'd also strongly suggest replacing leg extensions with lunges or split squats.

Still didn't mention your goal, so I'm not sure of the purpose in light cardio, or how long/intense you're doing it. Details on core work? -3X
Post 5 • IP   flag post
What the hell, this is the first time I've ever heard that!
Haha EK then how the hell do I work my shoulders man, overhead pressing is suppose to be the holy grail of shoulder workouts??

Got it, i'll replace leg extensions with split squats!

I been going the same full body routine for the last few years, and I wanted to try ppl, because of the volume/frequency. My long term goal is just to be aesthetic with as muscle as I can build, naturally. I am not gonna compete and I don't lift for sports either. Just lift as a hobby.

Brisk walking will be done for 30 minutes, just to burn calories, and for improving overall cardiovascular health along with increasing my work capacity.

As for core work, Ill be doing 3 sets 12 reps of cable crunches and hanging leg raises 2x week.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Who says they're the holy grail? Your front delts get plenty of work from benching. Lots of guys have great shoulders and don't overhead press. Lots of guys do overhead press and end up with nagging chroninc shoulder pain. Just some food for thought.

I'd consider something in addition to what you have listed for core work. The role of the deeper muscles of the trunk are to resist flexion, extension, and rotation, not perform it. Planks and anti-rotational cable exercises would benefit you. -3X
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Ah got it. Will add static cable holds for core work as well, thanks for the idea!

I know you emphasize the importance of having a balanced routine, meaning not having too many exercises for certain muscles like quads to hams or too many pressing movements to pulling. How does my routine look in terms of that?
I've tried to create the split were i'm not creating an imbalance between my quads and hams along with the pressing and pulling movements. But how does it look to you?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight So for shoulders would you just recommend doing DB lateral raises and Cuban Press?

I know you still push weight over your head for Cuban Press, but it's not like one can go heavy for that movement anyway.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@forgottenpass you can do the math and figure out my answer on that.

@Jsn3004 absolutely! -3X
Post 10 • IP   flag post
wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Who says they're the holy grail? Your front delts get plenty of work from benching. Lots of guys have great shoulders and don't overhead press. Lots of guys do overhead press and end up with nagging chroninc shoulder pain. Just some food for thought.
-3X

I can 100% attest to this. I love OHP, and I think I'm pretty strong at it, but whenever I put focus on it it's just a matter of weeks before I have shoulder problems. I've been through it a few times over recent years and it's just not worth it. I'd rather bench heavy and do lighter accessory work for shoulders.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
@wannabemuscular Thanks. I was actually hoping that you would chime in because I've checked out a couple of your logs and noticed that you've had reoccurring shoulder pain.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Per week ill be doing 43 Sets of pushing for chest/shoulders, 41 sets of pulling for back/traps. Along with 17 sets of quad exercises and 14 sets for hamstring.Think i'm good!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Not sure if serious. 2:1 pull to push ratio is what you should be shooting for. -3X
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Thanks ek for all your help, but bro i gonna ditch the legs/push/pull routine, too frustrating to setup. gonna try a proven program.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
EagleRare10 private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I'm gonna ditch OHP. @eknight as far as doing incline presses (DB or BB) is there a maximum angle of incline you would recommend not exceeding?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
30 degrees is my go to. -3X
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenpass
Thanks ek for all your help, but bro i gonna ditch the legs/push/pull routine, too frustrating to setup. gonna try a proven program.

Not sure how it's frustrating? You don't need incline, flat, decline, flyes, and 2 kinds of OHP. It's just overkill. The idea of PPL is to simplify and grow from the basics. 5 sets of flat bench heavy, 3 sets of flyes at any angle and a set of push-ups for AMRAP and your push day is done. Add some direct triceps if you can't live without them, and move on! -3X
Post 18 • IP   flag post
I've found a program called phat and it has exactly what I'm looking for in a program. Searched around on this forum and many have had great muscle gains with it.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
jippo88 private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hijack, but just wanted to clarify something regarding the push/pull balancing. I've also recently ditched overhead work. With my long ass leverages it just destroys my shoulders. Have been doing a bunch of rehab stuff and have eased the pain, but now looking at my routine as a whole. Does vertical pulling count towards pull volume - specifically in terms of balancing out the shoulder girdle?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
336544 20 20
destitute