SimplyShredded.com - Body Building Forum
SimplyShredded.com Forum

Anyone here ever done PHAT routine?18931

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys whats up!

I wanted to know if anyone here has ever done layne nortons PHAT routine? How long did you run it and how was the results? Did you build any muscle, or strength? My main goal of running this program is to build muscle. I like how the routine is overall setup, having different days both with low reps and high reps, the variety looks fun to me!

-Thanks, any info is appreciated!
Post 1 • IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah way to much volume and too many exercises per day... if ur gym is anyway busy u'll be there for bout 3hrs.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
Yeah way to much volume and too many exercises per day... if ur gym is anyway busy u'll be there for bout 3hrs.

Haha volume is not an issue for me, love it! And my gym is dead in the morning.

I'm wondering if this is a good routine to run to optimally build muscle for a natural lifter because of the great frequency. Will I build muscle on this routine, or is it geared towards gaining strength?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
I think there are better plans out there !!
Personally if I remember the volume per body part is unnecessarily high in terms of mrv !!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
I have been doing the exact same fullbody routine for the last 3-4 years, haha don't ask my why, I don't know either.

I wanted to try a new routine with a variety is reps/sets with frequency per week. Volume is not an issue at all for me. My main goal is just to optimally to build muscle.

Any recommendations bro?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Depends on ur goal ??
Strength, hyperthrophy or a little of both ??
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Straight hypertrophy. My main goal is to build as much muscle as I can.

Any advice?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
If you're coming off a long term full body routine, why not just split it into an Upper/Lower?

How many days per week can you commit to training?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I can afford to go the the gym 7 days a week haha

But I'm hesitant towards an upper/lower because of the lack of volume. Personally I love high volume,sounds kinda dumb I know, but I enjoy doing it this way. But if it's not optimal to build muscle, I rather not.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@forgottenpass an upper lower split can easily have a tremendous amount of volume in it !!
I would mix rpe with a linear amrap scheme on top of a hypertrophy program !!
I'd do a 5day..
Upper/lower/upper/lower/Acessorie-weakness-technique day split...
Mostly doing 4x8 or 3x8 @rpe8 and then an amrap set... if u get <=10 no increase in weight <=14 increase 2.5kg <=17 increase 5kg following week, >17 up 7.5kg...
I ran something similar last year and loved it !!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
I can tell you've done a full body routine for awhile since you're craving for some high volume. I currently do full body 3 times a week and I love me some high frequency/moderate volume training. But it's all preference.

I think an upper/lower split would be good like @FiremanSi suggested.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Jsn3004 How are you liking the full body routine so far, making gains? The frequency is a big reason why i stuck with it for so long.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
While there is certaintly nothing wrong with higher volume routines, they're definitely not optimal for naturals. Once muscle protein synthesis is peaked, beating your muscles into submission with more and more sets isn't going to make you grow any faster or get any stronger. Once a bucket is full, it's full. That's it. You can't put more in it. I've run PHAT in the past and its variety and rep schemes make for a fun routine, but ultimately I changed out several movements and found I got better results with less volume. -3X
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@eknight,Oh man that's what many have said for others as well. Think i'll hold off on PHAT, until I become more advanced.

Off top question, I've started reading many articles lately about training differently for fast twitch fibers vs slow twitch fibers. what are your thoughts on people with different twitch fibers, training differently to optimally suit them?

Do someone people respond better in terms of muscle growth to higher reps vs others to low reps? Is this why you see some guys who are relatively small but strong and guys who are muscular but not very strong and grow quicker relative to strength.

Because the first couple years i followed a bro split(high reps) I made tremendous muscle gains, but the last 3-4 years I've been doing low rep/ low volume work and I've looked the same since?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I ran phat for a solid 3ish months and never saw amazing strength or size gains.

Like the others said, unless you actually have 2-3 hours to spend in the gym you aren't getting your workouts finished every time. Especially if you spend a decent amount of time warming up or doing cardio. Game over.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
hghani13 private msg quote post Address this user
Done PHAT for a long time. Great program! Even though you eventually get used to the volume, it really isn't necessary. Like all the wise men who've given you advice before me, I have since reduced my volume. However, one thing I have kept from PHAT are the speed sets. Might be psychological or something, but they work.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@forgottenpass It's all preference but I really like full body. I'm making progress, I enjoy my workouts, and i'm not in the gym up to 6 times a week.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I find humor in the fact people are recommending an upper lower split over Phat, yet Phat is essentially a modified upper lower split.

But on topic, if you've been working out for three years and feel like you look the same, your diet is likely a large part of the problem.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
I know man! I've become so unmotivated to keep lifting after looking the same for years, despite going to the gym. Another reason is my strength has never increased tremendously. Its like I keep spinning my wheels and wasting time without progress.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Hows your diet been? Have you been tracking your numbers when you've been working out?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Dude I don't even want to get into my previous diets, it was terrible. I would start a cut then after a few weeks, i'll tell myself I've got too skinny and small, then start a bulk then after another couple weeks, convince myself I've gotten too fat. This has been the cycle for the last 3 years. No progression whatsoever. Don't know whats wrong with me!

I am very unhappy with my physique and my strengths. I have little muscle mass and a high body fat%, currently around 23%. While being very weak, never benched/rowed 2 plates etc.

Don't know how to proceed in terms of both diet, training
Post 21 • IP   flag post
It's okay, there's nothing you can do about the past. I know the general consensus is usually to bulk, but if you truly feel that you are 23 percent bodyfat I'd consider cutting. And I could be wrong here but, since you can't even bench 2 plates yet, I still think you'd make good strength gains even on a cut.

I'd also throw in some HIIT cardio once or twice a week.

But whatever it is, you have to be consistent. Even if your macros aren't on point, at least get enough protein, follow your workouts, track your numbers, and count your calories.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the advice man! I think ill be better off if I kept following a full body routine, till I develop a strength foundation.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You could also try a full-body on Mondays, Upper/Lower on Tuesdays, Full-body Wednesdays and every third Thursday, PHAT on the other Thursdays, biceps and tibialis on Fridays, Westside Barbell on Saturday, and rest on Sunday. -3X
Post 24 • IP   flag post
You really think this will jet me jacked?Cant wait to run it! But @eknight you forgot arm day!
Post 25 • IP   flag post
337475 25 25
destitute