SimplyShredded.com - Body Building Forum
SimplyShredded.com Forum
Bench PressChestTraining Programs

Smolov Jr Bench- Thoughts18984

WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,just wondering what your thoughts are on Smolov jr for bench. I know ek has done it previously ( and torn his pec) so thoughts on everything from recovery, benefits etc are welcome.

My situation is this:

I have a bench only comp in 5 and a half weeks.I have 10 days left until i max at the end of the cube programme I'm currently on.
I then intend to take 3 days totally off, before starting smolov.

I have done a successful run of 16 weeks of sheiko in the past, so volume isn't anything new to me, but the percentages on smolov seem a bit higher. In terms of levels of strength if it makes a difference, I'd say i was intermediate, with a 409lb 185kg bench.

Thanks in advance
Post 1 • IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
One of the strongest 93's in Ireland at the moment run's smokov jr predominantly with breaks for his bench..
I do think it has a much higher rate of injury also due to the volume and loads applied with high frequency !!
Never ran it myself but I know my bench responds better to high frequency with moderate to high intensity..
Post 2 • IP   flag post
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think my injury was necessarily due to the frequent benching- in hindsight, there's not enough pulling/retraction movement in the routine. I think it's stellar for getting your bench up in a short period, but if I ran it again, it would be with 100-150 extra band pull-aparts daily. -3X
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@eknight ah okay, glad you said that as the injury was the main worry for me. My current routine has me 4 sets of either rows or pullups each session ( currently go gym4 times a week). Would this be enough in your opinion as the loading is higher than the pull a parts or would you still ad them?

@FiremanSi yeah the frequency was one of the things i loved with sheiko, got ny squat form up to par
Post 4 • IP   flag post
I'd def still add them and some stretching. -3X
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Okay, thanks for the advice, always appreciated!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Are you going to log your progress on it? -3X
Post 7 • IP   flag post
wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Are you going to log your progress on it? -3X

We could certainly use a few more active logs on here.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@eknight @wannabemuscular yes definitely, logging has fallen off track a bit the past couple weeks, work has been extremely busy alongside having exams and study to fit in alongside the audits. Should quieten down soon though. On a deload this week with a test on saturday sunday, so will update then!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Will follow that log. I don't like the program if you are an advanced lifter (which I'd say you are for sure) so I hope you prove me wrong.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Cannonball I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Today was a test day, and I ended up with a 270kg squat (595lbs), 170kg bench (375lbs) and left deadlifts at 240kg. Squats felt unbelievably easy, but after that I don't know what happened, I feel like my deload on bench and deads may not have been great, plus the fact I didn't take any food/sugars with me to have between lifts. Either way, I'm not going to make excuses, I know my bench is where it used to be, due to my extremely easy 375lbs press 3 weeks ago in the middle of a training run, so, I'm goijg to keep my max for smolov where it is.

I'd appreciate people thoughts on my proposed split for smolov for the next few weeks:

Day one-
Bench
Squats (5x5/5x3/5x2)
Hamstring curls 5x15
Rows 4x15
Band pull aparts x100-150

Day 2-
Bench
Deadlift 8x3/8x2/8x1
Pullups 4x 6-8

Day 3-
Bench
Squats 5x15 (negatives)
Rows 4x15
Hamstring curls 4x15
Band pullaparts x100-150

Day 4-
Bench
Box jumps 4x3-5
Lower back extensions

All ideas welcomed!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Also, fwiw, all acessories are going to be with negatives to reduce total load on the joints and cns while still providing adequate muscle damage
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Squat video here
clickable text
Post 13 • IP   flag post
wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Nice squat. Love the roar.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Can't remember if this is already built in the program, but when I ran it, I also programmed with 90% of my 1RM, not the actual 1RM. -3X
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@eknight why 90%? I've seen other programmes use 95 but never 90. Is it to allow for greater increases eah week? @wannabemuscular haha cheers bud
Post 16 • IP   flag post
The volume just kills you, so I went conservative. You're stronger than me, so you could use 95% and back off if you need to. -3X
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Okay, I'll take it how I feel on warmups the first week then. What do you think to the rest of it the split? Too much volume or just right?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Looks good. Those sets of 15 negatives on squats will be brutal. -3X
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@eknight cheers for the feedback, yeah I want to use them as a focus several things, namely hitting depth, speed out of the hole without using the stretch reflex, and as a bonus just a little more focus on building the muscle without too much cns fatigue
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Smolov w1d1
Squats 215kg 473lbs 5x3
Bench 122.5kg 270lbs 6x6
Pullups 4x4 +10kg
Hamstring curls 50kg 4x15
Band pullaparts X110

Easy first day, no issues on anything
Post 21 • IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
This will be fun to follow. Smolov progression is always interesting to watch. I hope your competition goes well.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Smolov bench W1D3

Sumo deadlift 215kg 474lbs 8x3
Bench press 132.5kg 292lbs 7x5
Bodyweight rows x8,8,7,5
Back extensions +5kg 11lbs disc*
Band pull aparts X100

*these have the disc above the head, straight arms to get extra scapular stabilisation work in.

Again, everything pretty easy thus far, deadlifts felt very good for the first time doing sumo in 5 months.
@kickinchicken cheers bud, good to see you back on here!
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Smolov jr W1D5
Squats 120kg 264lbs X10,10,8,7,6*(5second negatives)
Bench 140kg 308lbs 8X4
Pullups +10kg 4X5
Single leg hamstring curls 30kg 4x10
Band pull aparts x150

Original plan was 5x15, however, at the 10th rep of the forst set, I kne that wouldn't happen, but still pretty happy with this, as it achieved whhat I wanted, additional volume to build muscle without straining the cns too much, and forcing technique.

Bench was pretty easy again, tomorrow may change that opinion though, we'll see
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Smolov junior W1D7
Bench 150kg 330lbs 10 sets of 3
Machine rows 75kg 165 lbs 4X10
Band pullaparts X120

Will tag some biceps and single leg work on to tomorrows workout that I had inteded to do today. I don't know what it was, the session felt uggish but the weights mvoved pretty well. Video below is the 10th set with 150kg
clickable text
Post 25 • IP   flag post
Smolov jr W2D1

Squats 230kg 507lbs for 5X2 (beltless)
Bench 127kg 280lbs 6X6
weighted pullups +10kg 4x5
Single leg bosu step ups 4x8
Hamstring curls 55kg 4X10
Band pull aparts X150
Biceps curls 3x12
clickable text

Video is of the 4th set of doubles. Bench work all going well so far, no issues to note today
Post 26 • IP   flag post
I forgot about those heavy 10x3 days. I don't think I could've done squats much while I was doing Smolov Jr bench. You're a beast dude.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
And happy birthday btw!
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@kickinchicken thanks bud! Bench never seems to take much put of me fortunately, so keeping squats and deads doesn't seem to be a problem.

How did smolov pan out for you?

Wednesdays sessions as follows:

Deadlift 8x2 230kg 505lbs
Bench 7X5 137.5lb 302lbs
Rows 4X10
Back extensions 4x8

Work has been manic this week, working long days on an away job, so took tonight off of tye gym, and just entending the training cycle by one day. All good so far though!
Post 29 • IP   flag post
I increased my bench 40lbs in 2 back to back cycles. Started having a slight shoulder pain in the end but nothing big. Just included shoulder mobility work and lots of pulling and light squats once a week. Worked out very well for me.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
337878 61 30
destitute